Geauga County ARES recommends that volunteers take several classes covering the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System (ICS). These classes are offered in an online format by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
The following courses are required for certain positions and are strongly recommended for all ARES members:
- IS-100: Introduction to the Incident Command System
- IS-200: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- IS-700: National Incident Management System, An Introduction
- IS-800: National Response Framework, An Introduction
The following online courses are recommended:
- IS-701: NIMS Multiagency Coordination System (MACS)
- IS-706: NIMS Intrastate Mutual Aid – An Introduction
We also recommend the following in-person courses. Classes are offered by the State of Ohio.
- G191: Incident Command System/ Emergency Operations Center Interface
- G775: Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Management and Operations
Once you complete each course and pass the final exam, you will receive a certificate via email. Please submit your certificate to us once completed!
Other reference aids: